Why Quit & Get Moving?
Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking
You’ve heard it before… smoking is bad for your health. In Canada, smoking accounts for about 30% of all cancer deaths, and is linked with increased risk for at least 18 types of cancer, including lung, throat, mouth, stomach, pancreas, and kidney. Quitting smoking lowers your risk of cancer, respiratory disease and reduces stress on your heart.
GOOD NEWS: When you quit smoking, the health benefits start to happen right away & your body begins to heal itself. Check it out:
|20 minutes||Your blood pressure and pulse rate will return to normal.|
|8 hours||You'll notice that you can breathe easier. You oxygen levels will be back to normal and your chance of having a heart attack will go down.|
|24 hours||Your lungs will start to clear out the mucus. All that coughing will be a good sign.|
|48 hours||You'll be almost nicotine-free. Your senses of taste and smell will improve so you'll probably start to enjoy food more.|
|72 hours||You'll have more energy. Your lung capacity will increase and your bronchial tubes will relax, so breathing and excercising will get easier.|
|1 year||Your risk of having a heart attack will drop by 50%.|
|10 years||Your risk of dying from lung cancer will be cut by half.|
|10-15 years||Your risk of coronary heart disease will be the same as the risk for someone who has never smoked.|
*Source: One Step at a Time: For Smokers Who Want to Quit. Canadian Cancer Society
Health Benefits of Getting Active
Did you know that about one-third of all cancers can be prevented by eating well, being active and maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Physical activity is SO important to your health and the benefits are endless. Here are a few:
- Regular physical activity protects against colon cancer and also helps to prevent and control high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and obesity
- Physical activity is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy body weight. Being overweight or obese increases your risk of heart disease and cancer
- Regular physical activity is also very helpful for reducing mental and emotional stress
Even MORE Benefits
- In addition to all the health benefits of quitting smoking and getting active you will also improve the quality of your life in other ways such as;
- Relief that your daily routine isn’t controlled by the need to smoke
- Lower insurance premiums
- Saving money
- No lingering odors on your clothes or in your car or home
- Not having to look for places you can smoke
- Feeling proud that you were able to overcome an addiction
It’s time to take control of your health.